Staging Your Home
Home staging is quite simply the process of preparing your home for public viewings. It can be as simple as decluttering and as complicated as full-scale renovations and can cost effectively nothing or thousands, all depending on your home and what the market it looking for.
Although we do a FREE comprehensive home staging consultation with all of our clients, here are a few simple tips to get started:
- De-clutter: It seems obvious, but it is amazing how often we take clients into cluttered homes. You want the potential buyer to feel like the space is open and ready for their design ideas. Remove extra furniture, minimize your closets, clear your counters, tables and shelves. Rent a storage locker if you need to.
- De-personalize: Although those weddings pictures or shots of the kids are meaningful to you, for potential buyers it creates the feeling of being in someone else's home. You want them to feel like this could be their home.
- Clean: Again, it sounds obvious, but when we say clean, we mean SPOTLESS! The cleaner the home, the less work it feels like the buyer will have to do to move in.
- Repair: Anything that will cause the buyer to wonder "What else is wrong in here?", needs to be fixed. Leaky faucets, loose knobs, cracked tiles, etc.
- Modernize: If you live in an older home, find little ways to make it more modern. Update electrical plugs, light switches and thermostats. Re-paint in the season's trendy colours. You get the idea...
- Add some 'wow': Fresh flowers, new towels, a set dining room table... Make your home feel good to walk into. The little things make a BIG difference.
For some more information, check out our reports section which has links to some more staging info.