Imagine you were selling your car, and a prospective buyer was on the way
over to see it. What would you do? You would probably make your vehicle
look as clean and shiny as possible, inside and out.
The same holds true if you’re selling your home and there’s a potential
buyer on the way. You want the buyer to be wow’d by your property. Here’s
a handy checklist to follow:
• Clean every room. Make your entire house look as “guest ready” as
• As much as is feasible given the time, reduce clutter. Consider
packing some items into boxes and storing them in the basement or
• Get pets out of the house. You can take them for a walk, have a
neighbour watch them, or take them to a good kennel.
• Turn on the lights, even during the day. You want each room to look
• If there are any maintenance issues, such as a dripping faucet, let
your Realtor know. Often, it’s best for buyers to be told rather than
discover such issues themselves.
• Open the curtains, except in those rooms where the sun will be
uncomfortably strong during the viewing.
• Move your vehicles from the driveway so the buyer can park there.
(That can help them imagine living there, which is what you want!)
• Make sure your foyer is especially clean and uncluttered. It’s the first
“room” the buyer visits.
• Avoid cooking just before a viewing. Even if the meal is wonderful, the
aroma may linger. (Some people don’t like the smell of certain dishes,
such as fish.)
• Freshen up the outdoor space. Mow the lawn. Sweep the walkway.
This viewing checklist will help you prepare your home quickly, so when the
buyer comes in your front door, there’s a much better chance he or she will
Want more tips? Contact The Dion-Ivans Real Estate Team today!!!